I started having contractions at about 5 am, but they weren't very consistent. I continued to time and suffer through contractions (7-12min apart) until about 7am. I had a pretty painful contraction and decided to go to the bathroom in case I they hurt just because I had to pee. After using the bathroom and walking around for a minute the contractions jumped from 10min apart to 2 min apart. I decided to take a bath to see if it would help the pain and maybe stop the contractions. It did not help. After 2-3 contractions in the tub I had Patrick call my little sister Laurel to come over and take care of the kids because we needed to go to the hospital NOW.
Rushing around I grabbed a toothbrush and put some shorts on. The contractions were so painful I was beginning to moan and occasionally scream with each one. We got outside and my sister wasn’t there yet (can’t really get there in 2 minutes) Patrick ran over to our neighbors so they could watch the kids until my sister got there. Just as we got in the car she drove up. That worked out great.
We started driving and by that time I was screaming and throwing myself all over the car with each contraction. Patrick was so patient and calm as he hurriedly weaved in and out of traffic. We got on the freeway and there was more traffic then there ever on that section of the freeway. We got through it pretty fast and continued to the exit. We got of the exit and I started getting more hysterical then before when I noticed the long line of cars. Patrick didn’t even flinch as he sailed past the line on the shoulder. At this point I think he was mortified that I was going to die because of the noise I was making.
We pulled up to the hospital and parked in the physicians parking because all the other slots were filled. We both got out of the car where I collapsed and told Patrick he need to get me a wheelchair. I fell down onto the grass grasping the parking sign screaming hysterically when some doctors came up behind me and asked “are you alright, miss”? I couldn’t answer. Patrick just then got me off the ground and into the wheelchair. The doctor who asked if I was alright helped us up to labor and delivery with his staff badges and staff elevators. The other women ran upstairs to let them know I was coming. In the elevator I remember telling Patrick that she was coming. As soon as we got to the L&D floor the nurses were asking what room to put me in but there wasn’t any more time and they just picked the next one.
Just as I was wheeled into the delivery room my water broke all over the wheelchair and floor. The nurses started grabbing my clothes and I was stripped down as I hopped onto the bed. Having my water break was quite relieving for a second. As I lay on the bed I felt the overwhelming urge to push. They nurse checked me and said I was complete but the baby was still had a ways to come down. I pushed anyway. I tried not to, but the only thing that kept me sane was to push. After a few seconds they decided that they were not going to stop me and told me it was okay to push. I couldn’t help myself anyway so I guess that was good. As I was pushing I felt like I was going to pass put and Patrick later told me at one point I turned really pale and that is when he reminded me to breathe. The nurse and Patrick kept telling me to breathe and to do the “he he who” breathing technique but I could honestly not stop pushing to breathe. After a couple of pushes, more like one really long push Samantha’s head came out and another push later her shoulders slipped out also. 8:17am she was here, almost exactly 15 minutes from showing up at the hospital and a total labor time of about 3 hours.
They took Samantha as I was trying to get the placenta out and that part was better but still painful. I was in so much pain I was so grateful Patrick stayed by my side and they took care of Samantha until I was okay. The doctor kept touching down there with the clamp while trying to get the placenta out. Painful! Just then my doctor ran in completely out of breath. He helped me deliver the rest and later told us the nurse who called him told him that his patient was upstairs dying….in pain. Ha ha. Finally the placenta was delivered and everything was okay.
I had planned on not getting an epidural this time like I did with the last two, but I had changed my mind when the contractions hit this morning. Well, I didn't have a choice as there was no time for one, so I went without. I was told they could try but the thought of having to sit up and be still while they tried to put it in was unbearable. Looking back I think it was God’s way of letting me experience a natural birth. If I had been at the hospital earlier I’m pretty sure I would have caved. If I choose to go natural again I will be much more prepared on techniques and ways to ease pain.
We are happy our little Samantha is here with us! We love you Samantha!
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Samantha Jane
Posted by Loving Our Life at 9:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment